The Streets Department is responsible for the maintenance of the Borough's roads including plowing, street sweeping, street signage and repair as needed throughout the year. The Streets Department also employees staff members who maintain the 70 plus properties the Borough owns.
The Borough is responsible for snow removal on all Borough owned streets. Some streets in the Borough are the responsibility of the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation. For more information about snow removal, read the Snow Removal Ordinance.
- Main Streets
- Side Streets
Snow and/or ice must be removed from all sidewalks in front of or alongside such property within 24 hours after the snow and/or ice has stopped falling. Please do not throw snow and/or ice into the street. Minimum clearance is 48 inches for Business District residents and 30 inches for other areas.
If you are a tenant or business, or live in an apartment or multi-unit housing, discuss with your landlord whose responsibility it is to clear the sidewalks. The Mayor and/or Borough Manager may extend this period of 24 hours if there is a declared emergency. We will try to get that information out as soon as we can through this website, local community television and/or radio if necessary.
Do not throw the ice and/or snow into the street. This makes the job more difficult for the Streets Department. If you do not remove this snow/ice, the Borough has the right to remove it and charge you for it. You would be better off hiring one of the local kids to shovel for you. You may be charged for the removal, and also cited by Borough Authorities which could be as much as $600.00. The kids are much more reasonable.
Parking During Snow Emergencies
When the Borough of Phoenixville has declared a snow emergency, to park a motor vehicle or to allow that vehicle to remain parked anywhere on any snow emergency route or to drive any motor vehicle on any such snow emergency route unless it is equipped with snow tires or chains is unlawful.
The following are designated as snow emergency routes:
- Bridge Street from Pothouse Road to the Schuylkill River
- Church Street from Bridge Street to Starr Street
- Dayton Street from Emmett Street to Freemont Street
- Emmett Street from Franklin Avenue to Dayton Street
- Franklin Avenue from Gay Street to Emmett Street
- Gay Street from the southern Borough boundary to Franklin Avenue
- Main Street (Route 29) from the southern Borough boundary to Nutt Road
- Main Street from Nutt Road to Bridge Street
- Manavon Street from Nutt Road to Starr Street
- Nutt Road from the eastern Borough boundary to the western Borough boundary
- Starr Street from Nutt Road to Bridge Street