What is a Snow Emergency?
Winter weather is beautiful, but severe winter weather can pose a safety risk to our residents. This causes the Borough to have to declare a snow emergency in order to keep our residents safe.
In the event that a snow emergency is declared, an official declaration will be made by Mayor Urscheler, and then posted on the Borough website, and shared via the Borough’s social media pages, and an alert will be pushed out through the Alert Center. Please follow and subscribe to these platforms to stay informed about possible snow emergencies.
When a snow emergency is declared, residents are reminded to remove vehicles from snow emergency routes prior to the time that the state of emergency takes effect. Failure to do so may result in ticketing, towing, or having your vehicle blocked in by plowed snow. It is necessary to keep these routes as clear as possible so they can be plowed, allowing for those who need to drive somewhere a safe route to travel on. Parking is offered in any of the off-street Borough-owned lots, with the exception of the Borough Hall lot which needs to be kept clear.
Why Some Streets Are Cleared Before Others? - Snow Emergency Routes
As snow begins to accumulate, the Borough concentrates on certain streets. The first streets that receive attention are the snow emergency routes. As long as the snow keeps falling, the Borough’s first priority is to keep the snow emergency routes open and passable. As soon as all the snow emergency routes are clear, equipment is immediately moved into other areas.
The Borough snow emergency routes in Phoenixville are:
- Bridge Street - From Pothouse Rd to Schuylkill River
- Church Street - From Bridge St to Starr St
- Dayton Street - From Emmett St to Freemont St
- Emmett Street - From Franklin Ave to Dayton St
- Franklin Avenue - From Gay St to Emmett St
- Gay Street - From Southern Borough Boundary to Franklin Ave
- Main Street (Route 29) - From Southern Borough Boundary to Nutt Rd
- Main Street - From Nutt Rd to Bridge St
- Manavon Street - From Nutt Rd to Starr St
- Nutt Road - From East. Borough Boundary to West. Borough Boundary
- Starr Street - From Nutt Rd to Bridge St.
BOROUGH RESIDENTS ARE PERMITTED TO PARK IN ANY BOROUGH-OWNED PARKING LOT, EXCEPT BOROUGH HALL LOT #5, WHICH MUST BE KEPT CLEAR.
Snow Emergency Route Map